Fried Lotus Stems
Ingredients & Quantity
- 500g fresh Lotus Stems, scrubbed and washed thoroughly
- 2 tsp Ishka Caper Pepper Sprinkle
FOR THE BLACK GARLIC AIOLI
- 2 tbsp Black Garlic Caper Spread
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
How to Prepare
- Wash, scrub and dry the Lotus Stems. Use a mandolin to cut the Lotus Stems into chips and plunge them in a bowl of cold water. Wash well to get rid of excess dirt and starch in between the crevices of the vegetable.
Once sliced and soaked well, strain the chips and pat dry on a kitchen towel. Plunge carefully into hot vegetable oil and keep stirring the pot to make sure the chips don’t stick to each other. Heat oil only up to 160 degrees; any hotter and the steam will brown too quickly and result in soggy chips.
- Cook evenly till golden brown and strain onto absorbent paper. Season generously with the Caper Pepper Sprinkle.
- For the aioli – whisk together your preferred mayonnaise and the Ishka Black Garlic Spread to make a quick and easy Black Garlic Aioli. Store excess aioli in a clean, dry jar in the fridge to use in sandwiches or wraps.
- Serve lotus stems alongside the aioli to enjoy a great gluten-free snack.